Quote of the moment

When despair for the world grows in me
and I wake in the night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children's lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
I come into the peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethought
of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
And I feel above me the day-blind stars
waiting with their light. For a time
I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

-Wendell Berry: The Peace or the Wild Things

Dec 3, 2008

Where Is the Door?

How much pain must one endure
Before a high enough price has been paid?
What burden must a single person carry
To pay for whatever it is they have done or said?

What is the price for being arrogant
For thinking they would win?
How is wanting to be happy
Some kind of mortal sin?

Why must others always come first?
Why must some always only get the worst?
Leftovers and crumbs, if there are any
Nothing for them, all for the many.

When is it no longer wrong
To say I want out of this song?
To say I’ve had enough, I don’t want to play any more?
Please, just show me to the door.



G - January 2008

No comments: