Quote of the moment

When despair for the world grows in me
and I wake in the night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children's lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
I come into the peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethought
of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
And I feel above me the day-blind stars
waiting with their light. For a time
I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

-Wendell Berry: The Peace or the Wild Things

Dec 8, 2008

Concede

I am forced to concede to the facts
My thoughts on life are just wrong
Some there will never see happy endings
We will never sing that happy song

We don’t all see any justice
Life is not a game that is fair
There are those of us who get nothing
Except a world that does not care

When we thing things will go right
Finally find one who we trust
We are reminded we are being foolish
When again the knife pierces with a thrust

Me? I get only what I deserve
A stab in the back for my trouble
After given all that was asked
Just a life left aside in the rubble.

No comments: