Quote of the moment

When despair for the world grows in me
and I wake in the night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children's lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
I come into the peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethought
of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
And I feel above me the day-blind stars
waiting with their light. For a time
I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

-Wendell Berry: The Peace or the Wild Things

Dec 5, 2008

Birch

Wind whistles through the leaves of the birch
Portents of the storms of winter that soon comes
Finch bristles feathers on its noble claimed perch
A brief pause in music when for thistle seeds it roams

Acorns drop from the gnarled and ancient oak
As squirrels scramble to add to their hoard
Hawk sitting with its new winter cloak
Raptor seeing normal prey, ignoring, as if bored

Alder and Ash ablaze in fall yellow
Dogwoods with ripe fruit, a fire of red
All in the well-fed autumn mellow
Heat of summer having already fled



Serenity of the scene brings to mind
Existence of this place in a different time
An era long since left so far behind
Only the past a memory now sublime

A time when man was one with nature
Just one more of the beasts of the field
Before advancement of today’s activities mature
Sprawl of mankind that cannot yield

Glimpse of history that could not last
Before progress found it in its path
Long ago on this land was a new vision cast
But still glimpse can be seen on this path

No comments: