Quote of the moment

When despair for the world grows in me
and I wake in the night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children's lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
I come into the peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethought
of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
And I feel above me the day-blind stars
waiting with their light. For a time
I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

-Wendell Berry: The Peace or the Wild Things

Dec 4, 2008

Singularity

A black hole.
An object so dense
With a gravitational field so strong
Not even light can escape.

More, a singularity.
A single point in space
Of infinitely dense mass,
A point beyond even that.

A naked singularity,
such a point so small, so dense
It is no longer even a black hole,
Invisible to the world.

A naked singularity
Visible to all the universe
Only by its destructive force
And disruptive nature.

That is my life.
A naked singularity.
Destroying anything I touch
Anything I go near.

Anything I love,
I care for, I touch,
Is sucked in, destroyed.
No opportunity to prosper.
No time to grow.
No trace left behind,
Except the scars on my soul.

I am poison, a blight.
If it is good,
I suck the life out of it.
I allow no joy
No happiness in my presence.
Just blackness
Dark to the heart.

I suck the very light out of the world,
Never letting it spread.
I twist and distort everything.
I cannot have anything fair.

I must defile it all.
I am a black hole,
A naked singularity.
I am the nothing that destroys all.

No comments: