Quote of the moment

When despair for the world grows in me
and I wake in the night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children's lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
I come into the peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethought
of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
And I feel above me the day-blind stars
waiting with their light. For a time
I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

-Wendell Berry: The Peace or the Wild Things

Dec 3, 2008

Wander Alone

I will now wander alone
As if I have any option
This is now my lot
I will seek no more rejection.

I offered myself
Fully and freely
To one I love
And claims to love me.

But that is rejected
It is not enough
So I'll wander alone
In a world without choice.

I begged and I pleaded
Though I swore I would not
Because I knew we had found
What we both needed and sought.

But those pleas were refused
Seldom even acknowledged
They are not of merit
Not even worthy an answer.

So I now am alone
With the whole world before me
I cannot be a part of it
But it is all there to see.

So now I will wander
Try to find that place of peace
See if I can't locate
That last place of ease.

As I wander alone
Through a black world
Memories will stay with me
Of my one Little Angel Girl.

And what could have been
At least in my mind
Of the one chance in life
I must now leave behind.

So I'll wander in silence
As I go through the dark alone
And reap the harvest
Of what I have sown.

And I'll wander alone
Through dark streets and hills cold
As I wonder just how
I so easily my soul sold.

Not much more left to do
Just a few bills of life left to pay
Papers and such
Then I can be on my way.

To wander the dark
With lonely thoughts
Wishing and trying to forget
As I wander alone.

No comments: