Quote of the moment

When despair for the world grows in me
and I wake in the night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children's lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
I come into the peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethought
of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
And I feel above me the day-blind stars
waiting with their light. For a time
I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

-Wendell Berry: The Peace or the Wild Things

Dec 6, 2008

Queen Gertrude

Gertrude, Queen of all geese
Owns the hearts of man and beast
Though slight of stature, all she commands
Her subjects adore her from great to least

Her position does not come from demand
It was never an honor for which she asked
Others simply acknowledged the obvious facts
Her nobility, true from birth could not a masked



Not a single member of the flock
Ever shows her but signs of respect
Her humble servants at all times
Always there, their queen to protect

Gretie was not healthy at birth
Daddy’s girl needed help to survive
She always made it clear through love
How grateful she was just to be alive.



Nanny to all young ones in the flock
Even those not of her brooding
Faithful mother to her charges
Each of whom would snap at her bidding.



Gertrude Queen of farm and flock
Always Daddy’s pride and joy
Goose of grace and noble blood
Always could play a heart like a toy.



Gertrude, Gertrude
My feathered Queen
Most regal goose
Ever seen.

No comments: