Quote of the moment

When despair for the world grows in me
and I wake in the night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children's lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
I come into the peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethought
of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
And I feel above me the day-blind stars
waiting with their light. For a time
I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

-Wendell Berry: The Peace or the Wild Things

Dec 6, 2008

Midnight



Midnight in the garden of darkness
Roaring of silence deafens the ears
Pierced only by the noise of the city
But silence is all the blind mind hears

Midnight with only a heavy blackness
Blinding mind and sour alike
Stray light is but an unwilling intruder
A lightless blow to the heart a strike

Midnight in the world of the unclean
A land populated by those others shun
A place of isolation with even color
Where the sparkle of light shows only dun

Midnight in a life of loneliness and pain
Met at every turn by indifference
As a blight on the pretty peoples
Barred from pleasures by an impassible fence

Midnight in the dark of a hollow void
Time stopped with no sense of life’ motion
Frigid grip of eternal winter of the soul
To stifle even fleeting hopeful emotion

Midnight with the heart beating as a drum
Wish for rest that will never come
Peace for even and instant all that is craved
Out of the hollow just being has become

Midnight and will is sagging to dread
Repose once more the reach alludes
Release is not availed upon this one
Never it seems will the assault conclude

Midnight in the garden of darkness
An hour that seems will never end
No light seen to lead a way out
Only despair all the night will send
Midnight in the garden of darkness
A place of torment without escape
Midnight in the dark recesses of the mind.

No comments: