Quote of the moment

When despair for the world grows in me
and I wake in the night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children's lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
I come into the peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethought
of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
And I feel above me the day-blind stars
waiting with their light. For a time
I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

-Wendell Berry: The Peace or the Wild Things

Dec 3, 2008

Take One For The Team

Why can some never see what is simple and true
Can’t acknowledge what they need to do
It is easy to see
Nothing unique
Surely they know, they see it too.

Life is like sport, a team game
Winners and losers, some parts remain the same
Rewards might be higher
The price paid more dire
But contests still, just by different names.

Often sacrifice for the greater good is needed
Sometimes it is best if loss is conceded
For the good of others
For pride or just for best
One must sometimes step aside because it is needed.

There are some that must always be the one
They must sacrifice before all is said and done
Never the winner
Often portrayed as the sinner
Always knowing when someone needs to pay the price, they will be the one.

There comes a time when it can be too much
Too often, too many times, just too much
Never to win
Never to break even
Just sacrifice, play the fool, for others, for best, until it is too much.

He knows the simple and true
He knows what he must do
Take one for the team
Easy that seems
Just do the deed for you.

But why? Why are there some than never will win?
Every plan must fail, and the fault always lies with them.
Even when they make plans that affect no others
People will find ways those too to smother.

They know in the end they will do what is expected
And once again their needs will be neglected
Game over again
Never to win
Until finally all is done.

Yes, I know what I need to do,
I just don't know if I have the strength to do it.
One way or another, I will take one for the team
There could never be a doubt on who would pay the debt.

No comments: