Quote of the moment

When despair for the world grows in me
and I wake in the night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children's lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
I come into the peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethought
of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
And I feel above me the day-blind stars
waiting with their light. For a time
I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

-Wendell Berry: The Peace or the Wild Things

Dec 28, 2008

Companions True

Precious, gentle purrs at ones feet
Tail up and back arched turn
Demanding nothing more than attention
Giving peace of mind in return

Sad eye to those that do not know
Actually wells of love to the soul
Content to lay with head upon lap
Your shared solace her only goal



Companion and friend of fur and paw
There unconditional without question
Comfort us when we are down
Even do as they can to give us protection

Warmer of feet and guardian of blanket
Never will he let you be bothered by a bird
But also there to fight an intruder
And warn of danger to others unheard



Feather and fill and voice so clear
To others only a nuisance of a pet
They don’t know to look and listen
Of any being, she read my mind best

Some call them pets, those of shallow hearts
These are living beings that know our core
Closer than many who claim kinship
These are ones who without judgment adore



These are companions that are good
Loving without question or condition
Guided by the misconception we deserve
Sharing joy of life that seems as it should


G- December 2008

No comments: