Quote of the moment

When despair for the world grows in me
and I wake in the night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children's lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
I come into the peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethought
of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
And I feel above me the day-blind stars
waiting with their light. For a time
I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

-Wendell Berry: The Peace or the Wild Things

Dec 6, 2008

Dreams

Dreams that we dream
Simple hopes they all seem
Dreams of youth’s innocence
Thoughts only the young can dream

World of peace and games
Bliss and joy like clouds in the sky
Life washed clean by the rains of Spring
Left bare in the sun to dry

Dreams of life without care or need
All those loved would never leave
Dulled by the coming to age unasked
Lost youth leaving one only to grieve

Loves of adolescence, pure and true
Dreams of forever, thoughts never to fail
Open hearts to share all time together
Fresh minds ready for the world unveil

Unblemished souls with dreams to pursue
Taking on challenges to pursue glory
Forging a perfect life in an imagined world
Writing ones own destiny in the long story

Dreams that are assailed by reality
Eaten away in adults sudden trials
The naivety losing to assault of truth
Only to go on as the dream fails

Dreams of adults seem more realistic
Though some may be out of desperation
But one already know the cost to succeed
Requires devotion and desperation

Few chances left to make them come true
As one puts all remaining strength into last dreams
Experience tells what you need to do
To make sure this time nothing fails

But now there are no more dreams
All are used up to the ravages of time
Dreams that were dreamed through life
For some of us dreaming was only a crime.

No comments: