Quote of the moment

When despair for the world grows in me
and I wake in the night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children's lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
I come into the peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethought
of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
And I feel above me the day-blind stars
waiting with their light. For a time
I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

-Wendell Berry: The Peace or the Wild Things

Dec 9, 2008

Repose

Boat perched gently on the water
Peace fills the face, sweet peace
Oars stored now to the side
Not to disturb the glass plane

Swallows skim just off the surface
With their graceful showy flight
Acrobats with blurred wings
As they perform their feeding show

Oaks and maples all ablaze
With their firework of a fall show
A single leaf like thunder falls
A lone break in the silent deep

Mist rising off the liquid rest
Gentle curls in the fingers of air
An eerie embrace of water and sky
Entwining spirits of the forces of life

Wood and plant glazed with a coat
Of the tears wept by the Earth
A coating of dew gleams as jewels
Gone in instants a fleeting gift

Sun joining with a burning light
Sky the red of blood from battle
Long battle that raged the war
The final victory being tale spun

Time stands still for just one beat
Pausing so brief to freeze sweet repose
Before the moment is spent, life resumes
Only known to the one lone soul





G- December 2008

No comments: