Quote of the moment

When despair for the world grows in me
and I wake in the night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children's lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
I come into the peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethought
of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
And I feel above me the day-blind stars
waiting with their light. For a time
I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

-Wendell Berry: The Peace or the Wild Things

Dec 5, 2008

Choices

Choices are made
Sometimes in haste
With deep thought and care
Or only on emotional base

Choices are made
Great and small
Some are minor
Others mean all

Choices we make
Guide out path through life
Leading to happiness
Or pains that cut like a knife

Choices we make
Consequences occur
Others are affected
The path becomes obscured

Choices get made
Some wrong, some right
When they are made
The future seems so bright

Choices get made
Sometimes lives are changed
Hearts are broken
Minds rearranged

Choices are made
And can’t be undone
Though sometimes they can
At least for some

Choices are life
And once they are cast
We can only hope we are right
Trust they will last

Choices are hard
Decisions can hurt
And when they go wrong
They can turn hope to dirt.

Choices can be altered
With the change of a mind
But for others involved
This can be brutally unkind

For some choices seem
To always go wrong
To crush all hope
Even when their heart is strong

Choices I made
And these I will keep
Through all of the pain
No matter how deep.

No comments: