Quote of the moment

When despair for the world grows in me
and I wake in the night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children's lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
I come into the peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethought
of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
And I feel above me the day-blind stars
waiting with their light. For a time
I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

-Wendell Berry: The Peace or the Wild Things

Dec 5, 2008

Gladys

Gladys my friend, my baby, my child
I like you so badly wish to fly
I wish to see you, soaring through sky
Someday I think I just might try



If I do, I hope you will be there with me
I want to see you so badly, I often still grieve
It pains me daily that you had to go
It was not fair that your were forced to leave

I think you forgave me for breaking my promise
And know that I did all I could, I really did try
It crushed me that what I said wasn’t true
I trust that you understood that I did not lie

Your visit soothed my very heart, my thoughts
You seemed so happy and the visit so kind
I knew in an instant that you had much to do
But took of your time to sooth my mind

Monarch was appropriate for my little girl
For you were always rightfully a queen
Most noble of ladies and kindest of spirit
Best worthy of title of any ever seen

I miss you my child and loved you so much
I wish you were with me, cherished from birth
You suffered and struggled, but smiled through it all
I’m so grateful you finally found your well-deserved mirth.

I will see some day, likely sooner than later
I hope that you also look forward to that day
And when it happens and we meet the others
I trust that together we will all get to stay.

No comments: