Quote of the moment

When despair for the world grows in me
and I wake in the night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children's lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
I come into the peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethought
of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
And I feel above me the day-blind stars
waiting with their light. For a time
I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

-Wendell Berry: The Peace or the Wild Things

Dec 6, 2008

Chess A Game Of Life

Rooks
Towers of strength
Attack or defense
Sword at the ready
To do royal bidding
Without knowledge
Of right or wrong
Only answer the call
Thundering Rooks

Bishops
Generals of war
Knives on attack
Swift to defend
Hard to control
With wills of their own
Swift to the kill
Against lesser foes
Devine Bishops

The Pawns
Workers
Soldiers of the line
Servants of the Realm
Never know retreat
Used up and lost
Never seeming to know
How little their use
They are only Pawns

Knights
Noble and fair
Chivalry out of hand
Serves every call
Rides ever forward
Follows only the truth
Naive to the facts
They have no worth
The loyal Knights

Queen
Calls all the shots
Holds all the power
Over her court
Rules every battle
Worshiped by all
That bow to her will
Compete for her favor
Her highness, the Queen

King
Sits back
Sends other forward
Cowards behind
Is all that matters
All others serve him
And all he commands
The King

No comments: