Quote of the moment

When despair for the world grows in me
and I wake in the night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children's lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
I come into the peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethought
of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
And I feel above me the day-blind stars
waiting with their light. For a time
I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

-Wendell Berry: The Peace or the Wild Things

Dec 5, 2008

Paper

Wadded up paper
Crushed into a ball
Tossed aside, just trash
Left wherever to fall

Stained and tattered
Used up and discarded
Sent back to rot
To Earth as it started

Words on it were written
The promise of more
Of a dream that could be
Love to the heart would bore

But the ink all ran
The words turned to smears
When wetted by realities storms
And stray lover’s tears

The paper was torn
Under the strain
As the author returned
To old stories again

The words that were written
Could not be erased
But turned out the story
Could be replaced

The story once written
A short fairy tale
Somehow lost its shine
And quickly grew stale

Set aside and forgotten
At least it would seem
Not that big a deal
I was after all, only a dream

Tossed aside
Left wherever to fall
Heart, soul crushed
Into a little ball
Stained and tattered
Used up and discarded
Sent back to rot
To the Earth as I started.

No comments: