Quote of the moment

When despair for the world grows in me
and I wake in the night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children's lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
I come into the peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethought
of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
And I feel above me the day-blind stars
waiting with their light. For a time
I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

-Wendell Berry: The Peace or the Wild Things

Dec 5, 2008

For Jazz

Sweet angle, dream well
Let not fear and pain rule the day
Of some things we cannot choose
These will come without our say

But in the end we have the strength
And we can call on friends in need
Together we can share our wills
To climb each hurdle in the path we lead

You do not face these things alone
Though often it seems to be that way
Reach out your hand and trust friends
Hold the demons that attack at bay

We can not be there with you in flesh
But in your mind and heart we share
Feel joy and share in your triumphs
And will do as we can to relieve your care.

No comments: