Quote of the moment

When despair for the world grows in me
and I wake in the night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children's lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
I come into the peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethought
of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
And I feel above me the day-blind stars
waiting with their light. For a time
I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

-Wendell Berry: The Peace or the Wild Things

Dec 4, 2008

Fire



Sky ablaze with fire of the heart
Hard to keep fears and reality apar

Scorched soul and field alike
Emotions as a flood of a broken dike

Barren land, mind of blight
No salvation anywhere in sight

The fire burns all and burns deep
Withers all dreams one tries to keep

There is no safety from the truth
That blaze uncovers hope without proof

A sight of beauty, a sight of might
Reality can be a terrible sight

But brings with it life renewed
Once one has strength to get through

The fire of life and trial
Is a fight to face without denial

Fair is not a word know to the flame
There are few rules to life's game

In mere hours the sun will bring a day new
And once more the fight we will renew.

No comments: