Quote of the moment

When despair for the world grows in me
and I wake in the night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children's lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
I come into the peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethought
of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
And I feel above me the day-blind stars
waiting with their light. For a time
I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

-Wendell Berry: The Peace or the Wild Things

Dec 5, 2008

Seasons of Life

Icy wind cuts through the night
Ripping like knives in the dark
Howling as if fighting off the coming dawn
Biting all with pain bitterly stark



The brutal weapons of the winter
Building on the cold, renting the air
Thrashing out at life as if with envy
An envy without thought or care

Frozen rain, deepening snow
Freezes thoughts, denies all hope
The season deprived of light
Drains the mind of the will to cope

But through the vile attack of winter
The Earth receives the water of life
Stored for a time until needed
Life will win over this strife

The frigid time is but a rest for land
A renewal of strength for another run
This will pass in good time
When again the sky is ruled by the sun

Spring brings that renewal of vibrancy
A rebirth after the long winter attack
Green of plants and animal life emerge
Reclaim their realm, take the land back

The war is not won though without a fight
Melting snows and Spring’s frequent rains
Fueled by violent storms that assail in force
Building floods attack for temporary gains


These assaults seem so extreme
Bringing again a violence fresh
But the storms bring purging of land
Cleansing Earth of wear and blemish



This is a time of life’s abundance
All the land filled with bounty
Newborns and growth burst forth
Changing from barren to fullness of plenty

And the world turns again, now to Summer
With it bringing burning heat
The ability to scald to a blister
The weak of their very life to cheat

The furnace of the summer is the engine
That fuels the growth of life to fruition
To build surplus for the future
Preparing out of natures intuition

It is a season of rest and ease
The pace of life in its prime
The seemingly endless season
Without care of fear of time

Autumn flows in as a time of plenty
The maturity of the growth of summer
To enjoy the rich spoils of life
Before nature awakes from its slumber

Fruit of the field and tree abound
The increase of beast all come of age
A surplus of the best of the cycle
The prize on life’s repeating stage



The first nips of cold reminders
Show their plans, reveal their hands
Bring back to mind what is coming
And what for survival it demands

Then Winter returns with its icy grip
To again test life’s strength to survive
Through the long and dark attack
Until again in Spring to revive

Human life is other seen as the same
Starting with birth in the bounty of Spring
Growth and play and learning without care
Preparing for all that life will bring

Summer is the age of care and toil
Working years and time to improve
Plan and provide for the future
All of one’s worth of life to prove

Fall is a time to taste the reward
To enjoy the harvest Summer’s work
Enjoy the best of life’s treasures
Much like removing a well aged wine cork

Winter a time to be avoided
A cruel season that steals life’s last hope
A season of decline from all being offered
The final season that drains desire to cope

But why should this be
Who made the rule
Why should life
Be so cruel

Why should a person
Automatically be through
If they still have the fight
Why should they not renew

Many make mistakes in life
But are still left with strength
Why must that mean barren Winter
Of a long unbearable length

Robbed of treasure on the first try
No plenty of harvest fruit
Without any choice to proceed
As if their voice is fully mute

I was trapped in that dead loop
Which stole my chance at the dance
A life of nothing but toil and burden
Even hope killed as if by a lance

But I found a new hope for Spring
And set up for a new chance at life
Knowing a new season would follow
The early winter forestalled of its strife

A promise of joy beyond my last hope
A knowing that I finally found my soul mate
That life had turned beyond wildest dreams
That I had suddenly found my true fate

We were linked in mind, body and soul
A union to which I wholly swore
The cost this binding would be high
A price that would sting to the core

A commitment of being and mind
I turned over my very heart and soul
Gave them freely and without reserve
But without return my life would be null

But the game of life is often nor fair
And does not easily give up its cruel Winters
It can thwart the promise of a new Spring
And hammer the heart into splinters

My Winter now looks bleak
Brutal, long, and cold
What hope there is for renewal
I gave to another to hold

She holds my future, my seeds of hope
The keys to rebirth of a new Spring
When I knowingly gave he control
My destiny, she now controls what life will bring

And now I have little hope left
As she turns once again aside
But still I will live with my choice
By my promises I will abide.

No comments: