Quote of the moment

When despair for the world grows in me
and I wake in the night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children's lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
I come into the peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethought
of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
And I feel above me the day-blind stars
waiting with their light. For a time
I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

-Wendell Berry: The Peace or the Wild Things

Dec 6, 2008

Silence Grips The Soul

Silence grips the souls
Clutch of the raptor
Talons ripping apart
Hearts isolated, lost
Indifference of existence
Nameless victims all
Forgot in the battle
Discarded carrion
Left by the shore
As eternity rolls by

Breath rasps in protest
Fighting even the dream
Nourishment denied of
Body and deep soul
Demon forces attack
Exposing bare thoughts
To the decimation of rot
Decaying and left
For the worms to feed
On raw dreams of life

Voided beliefs
The fallacy of truth
The strength of faith
Cuts by wounds
Inflicted to self
Lances piece deep
Bones picked bare
Flesh stripped off
By cutting winds
Eroding cares
Of naught

Love destroys all
Leaves nothing behind
Only trails of pain
Mouse that kills
The mighty beast
Simply with fear
Thorn in the side
Festers into life
Tiniest enemies unseen
Brings down all
Mighty armies fail
None are left whole

Thoughts beaten down
Strength fails once more
Beast is at the gate
And still the plea
Of helpless for a turn
To feed at the trough
Of happiness true
Something good
Something once pure
But finding only
Once more a knife
And instruction to
Remind of its use
To cut out our being
Leave us again
In lonely isolation as
Silence grips the soul.

No comments: