Quote of the moment

When despair for the world grows in me
and I wake in the night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children's lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
I come into the peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethought
of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
And I feel above me the day-blind stars
waiting with their light. For a time
I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

-Wendell Berry: The Peace or the Wild Things

Dec 6, 2008

When I See Sky



When I see sky
I see one more lie

I feel the sting of wind
I can only wonder when

I feel my face lashed by rain
Why will it not wash away the pain

When night once more brings the dark
Into the long bleak isolation I again embark

I once had a life to live
In which I was only to give

Land of a slave to other’s thoughts
To serve made my worth more than naught

Always more was asked than I could ever give
Until the weight crumbled my complete will to live

Until my spirit broke inside
Leaving without any place to hide

Wind ripping at a back bent by weight
While the drowning torrents show no abate

Open to the dark of night without trace of light
As dreams all fade and hopes are lost from sight

I see one final lie
When I look up at the sky.

No comments: