Quote of the moment

When despair for the world grows in me
and I wake in the night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children's lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
I come into the peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethought
of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
And I feel above me the day-blind stars
waiting with their light. For a time
I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

-Wendell Berry: The Peace or the Wild Things

Dec 5, 2008

Birds, Sweet Birds

Birds, Sweet birds
Friends of mine
They call,
They sing
The sounds of Spring

Birds lift my spirits
They dance for my eyes
They perch,
They fly
They tell me no lies

The sparrow and robin
The jay and the finch
In the trees,
In the field
Joyful songs they wield

The swift in the air
Darts all around
Glints like metal,
Performs a circus act
Tiny aerial acrobat

Ducks of the farm
Never fail to entertain
Joy for life,
Always enough to share
Trying to live without care



Swans of pure beauty
So free,
So wild
Graceful in water or flight
But also all power and might

Geese so demanding
Always in charge
Cunning and smart,
Able to steal heart
With eyes that pierce like a dart

Eagles scream,
Out of sight
With voices that echo
Owners of the skies
And all that below lies

But all I see now
Is the raven,
Looking at me
Staring into my eye
At night as I cry

The raven,
Bird of Carrion
Scavenger of mind and soul
Here to feast on the heart
As it is torn apart.

No comments: