Quote of the moment

When despair for the world grows in me
and I wake in the night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children's lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
I come into the peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethought
of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
And I feel above me the day-blind stars
waiting with their light. For a time
I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

-Wendell Berry: The Peace or the Wild Things

Sep 3, 2009

Solitude Denied

Meditation in the sun
Absorbed in the light of day
Nude to the world
As first entered the fray

To Hell with the norms
That are force on man
By self appointed arbiters
With iron fisted hands

Disdain to the rules
Self righteous enforcement
Of their of petty comfort
By amuletted reinforcement

But all attempt of solitude
Met with defiance on every side
As world around you burns
Through efforts to hide

Fire burns the beauty
Smoke choking thought
Bringing fey solace
To the peace sought

Flame without purpose
Relentless to spread
Burning tree and reality
As life leaves the heart dear

Just one more hammer blow
To attempts to be free
Anvil applied once more
By destiny’s decree.



G - Sept 2009

2 comments:

Mogen David said...

Happy Birthday?

Gooseman said...

Hi Mog.

One of those days. Just trying for some meditation with a bit more "back to nature" that usual. Thwarted by wildfires that were about a mile away.