Quote of the moment

When despair for the world grows in me
and I wake in the night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children's lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
I come into the peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethought
of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
And I feel above me the day-blind stars
waiting with their light. For a time
I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

-Wendell Berry: The Peace or the Wild Things

Sep 24, 2009

Hydra's Head

Rat that steals in the night
Defiling that which is not his
Without invite it enters in
Plunders not to fill want, but greed

Closed doors want to keep out
Vermin for whom locks mean naught
Content even to spoil what is left
In contempt of what others need

Kill him, murder that intruder vile
Snuff the life from that soulless thief
But the space will simply be filled
With two more of his demon seed

Snake that coils in hidden gloom
Poised to strike without alarm
To claim the prize that others earn
While biting at their exposed flanks

Spreading poison to unsuspecting foe
Naïve ambushed while unaware of plight
Believing even that viper were friends
Thus losing earned reward and thanks

Bringing down the blade to serpent
Does less than even stem the tide
Dispatch gives license upon more rats
And eager asps form up in ranks

Demons attack the mind in the dark
Grown bolder yet group for light of day
Rip at flesh, and thought, the very soul
Feasting on shards that remain of the heart

Stroke of blade and fell hammer blow
Can easily fall any one misbegotten
Ever though it seems as foretold
Two step in to play the fallen’s part

Rodents of life multiply without restraint
Snakes seem up to split at each stoke
As heads on the hydra of immortal dread
Feeding on the misery they wantonly impart.


G - Sept 2009

No comments: