Quote of the moment

When despair for the world grows in me
and I wake in the night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children's lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
I come into the peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethought
of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
And I feel above me the day-blind stars
waiting with their light. For a time
I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

-Wendell Berry: The Peace or the Wild Things

Sep 2, 2009

I Remember

I remember
The first snow-lake of the fall
When I was still not
Three feet tall
How the wind cut at the skin
Sky stark streaked in gray
As winter’s chills begin
One lone flake swirled into sight
Toward a child’s waiting
Only for his delight

I remember
That birthday, when I was but turning one
I can still sometimes taste the cake
How that candle shone
I can still see who was there that night
Most are now gone in life
But not in my sight
I can still see the eyes of the one who loved me so
Can see that she knew how I felt at their words
Eyes showing hurt only she and I could know

I remember
When I first learned the hard lesson of having sight
What it meant to know events before others
To see before images met the light
Seeing with out the ability to do anything
Unable to stop or even to warn another
What the next day would bring
To see those I loved and I knew loved me
Be taken before their time had come
To be forced without logic to see

I remember
Seeing the eyes I was always destined to see
I saw them first when she was barely born
Just days later she showed herself to me
Staring at me from of a plastic doll’s eye
Blinking at be as stars in the night
Gleaming like jewels in the sky
Those eyes, always burned into my mind
Constant visits in my dreams at night
Reminding they were there to find


I remember
When I could no longer take the burden seeing
The past held more than enough pains load
To add events not yet brought to being
Somehow I brought those things to an end
No more would I see the hand of fate
In wait around life’s next bend
Until those eyes came back once more
In life this time, not just in my mind
Breaking the gates to my core

I remember
There was a time that I thought there was a plan
I remember
When my future was filled with dreams of tomorrows
I remember
Gates that were closed so I could not see those places
Filled with false hopes, overflowing with sorrows
I remember
So many things
What I can’t remember
Is how to forget




G - Sept 2009

No comments: