Quote of the moment

When despair for the world grows in me
and I wake in the night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children's lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
I come into the peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethought
of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
And I feel above me the day-blind stars
waiting with their light. For a time
I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

-Wendell Berry: The Peace or the Wild Things

Mar 29, 2009

Red Wall

Red wall in the wind
For rest, to keep out noise

The child leans against the wall
Casting shadows in the sun

Wood stained to color the world
Define a sanctuary from chaos

Place of safety form the fear
That seems to define life without

Peace within calming, serene
The horrors without not to be seen

That wall of red to keep out wolves
That otherwise would be at the door

A fence of red to keep out harm
Bounce that ball in security

Under sky without gray
Safety, sanctuary the from attack

The illusion that reality can be held back
By a wall of wood colored red

Who is actually being kept safe
The child, or the world

G- March 2009

No comments: