Quote of the moment

When despair for the world grows in me
and I wake in the night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children's lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
I come into the peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethought
of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
And I feel above me the day-blind stars
waiting with their light. For a time
I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

-Wendell Berry: The Peace or the Wild Things

Mar 6, 2009

Diminish

The world is once more diminished
With the loss of those as should not
While lesser creatures that do harm
Spoil good things other hands wrought

Son of denstiny and bound by word
Brother of faith, defender true
Fought with heart and belief to defend
Fell alone in the morning dew

Eyes of a mother fair and generous
Grieved for her flesh she had raised
Less for lost of protecting her
Valiant not, nor fell to great praise

Past should have taught them well
To serve others first and defend
For those too weak to fight themselves
Of their own choice their blood spend

The thieves of good and life
Not content taking the best in fight
Defile what is good and innocent
Creep and slaughter in the night

Dreams of future and memories past
Taken by cowards, the vermin swine
Right never though once cowered
But fought and pealed warning chime

Still that will fell in that field
Defended while head-on meeting fate
But matter not right or wrong in life
Truth can oft be felled by hate

Together, they will be together
As rightfully is should always be
Arm in arm, in their eternal embrace
Joined in love spirits always free
Even if it only beyond this life
Or in the delusions of fantasy.


G- November 2008

No comments: