Quote of the moment

When despair for the world grows in me
and I wake in the night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children's lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
I come into the peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethought
of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
And I feel above me the day-blind stars
waiting with their light. For a time
I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

-Wendell Berry: The Peace or the Wild Things

Mar 29, 2009

Just A Pin Prick

Just a pin prick
No one will know
Just across the surface
No one can tell

Draw the edge slow
Not to go deep
No need to bleed
Someone might notice
If it does more
Than just a seep

Looks like but a scratch
But it fills the need
Draws to the flesh
The sensation of pain

Distraction from other cares
Facts that on the mind wears
As those nerves on the skin
What is one more scar
That no one will see
Only from you to know
That once more there was
Too much to take

Serrated, that is the trick
Those edges cut more
While marking less
Searing like heat to flesh

Maybe a tattoo
Maybe more than one
To feel those pinpoint
Drive the feeling home
While others do not know
It is the pain you seek
Not the image left behind

Just a needle to the palm
That works just as well
And can be done over again
With no one to tell

Just one more scar
To represent one more day
One more survived
One less to stay

Just a little pin prick
No one will know
No one will care
No one to tell.



G- March 2009

No comments: