Quote of the moment

When despair for the world grows in me
and I wake in the night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children's lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
I come into the peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethought
of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
And I feel above me the day-blind stars
waiting with their light. For a time
I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

-Wendell Berry: The Peace or the Wild Things

Mar 5, 2009

Caterpillar

Caterpillar, funny worm
Moves between leaf and twig
Fuzzy little crawling fellow
Moves slowly without care

Graceful as it flies by
The butterfly in flight
Lands near Caterpillar
The brief sunny hour to share

The woolly worm then feels
An emotion never known
Jealousy at the beauty
The wings without compare

Why do you come to mock
To show up my ugly garb
Not invited you were to land
And intrude my space there

The butterfly laughed at him
And said she did not mean harm
Was just trying to be friendly
If offensive would move on

But he thought the other knew
That changes were coming soon
And then he would understand
When his new garb he would don

The fussy insect snorted
As he slowly crawled away
And the butterfly did sigh
And fluttered into air

That eve the caterpillar
Deep chill upon his core
Curled up into a leaf
Formed a comfy lay up there

But in the morn he woke not
At least not all the way
He did not seem to care
It seemed right to be at rest

Finally he awoke
Slumber of a length unknown
He only knew he felt strange
In a space so compressed

Breaking the confining shell
Almost tipped when he felt air
Looking up above his back
Saw majestic yellow wings

Then he fully understood
That a butterfly was he
The other did not mock him
Soaring to the air he sings


G- November 2008

No comments: