Quote of the moment

When despair for the world grows in me
and I wake in the night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children's lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
I come into the peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethought
of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
And I feel above me the day-blind stars
waiting with their light. For a time
I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

-Wendell Berry: The Peace or the Wild Things

Mar 5, 2009

Flower of the Maiden

Lady with eye pure and the sparks of stars
Silver flowed her gown of silk and gems
Maiden fair of face and pure of heart
At peace in the wood, hidden by steam



A lad of the land, neither noble nor proud
Met the Lady by field in the spring air
The talk of dreams and hopes they shared
And the snare of love captured his mind

With kiss stolen in the still of one day
The two made plans, exchanged vows
And he was forced to take a leave
To find a way to make a home

His maiden he left behind that day
As bittersweet tears stung at their eyes
They both knew he would keep his word
And wait for her in the secret wood.


G- November 2008

No comments: