Quote of the moment

When despair for the world grows in me
and I wake in the night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children's lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
I come into the peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethought
of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
And I feel above me the day-blind stars
waiting with their light. For a time
I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

-Wendell Berry: The Peace or the Wild Things

Aug 26, 2009

Tick

Tick

Tick


Tick
One more second flicks by
On the clock
On the wall
Otherwise bare
As time crawls

Tick
It will not stop its march
Nor will it speed
Only that feeble crawl
That defies change
Defies control
And tics

The days pile
End to end
Seem to speed past
In the blink of on eye
While the clock
Just continues to Tick

Tick

Pages from the calendar
Litter the floor
As leaves in fall
Rain from the wood
From the land of life
Dead shadows of past

Years fall like rain in spring
With the ravages of the storm
Taking hope
Erasing dreams
Creating truth
From what once were lies

A lifetime it seems
Gone in a blink of the eye
Never even seemed to start
Before already lost
While the clock on the wall
Barely quivers
With its Tick

Tick

Time
With all of its hopes
Is gone
With the blur of lighting
But a flicker
In the heart of the storm

While the clock on the wall
Which could bring such relief
Refuses to yield
Will not release its hold
Its claim
And torture
With each crawling Tick

Tick

Tick.


G - August 2009

No comments: