Quote of the moment

When despair for the world grows in me
and I wake in the night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children's lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
I come into the peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethought
of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
And I feel above me the day-blind stars
waiting with their light. For a time
I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

-Wendell Berry: The Peace or the Wild Things

Aug 6, 2009

Is, As it always is.

Existence is as it always is
The life of the dead
Only hearing the echoes
Of things that were said

But still the knife comes
Slicing from the world all his
Last times being only lost
And existence is as always is

The world of the Good People
Ever as it was before
No more at a loss or a care
For the soul that is no more

The promise that once was
Thoughts in error of could belongs
Less a burden on the world
Existence a reminder of all of his wrongs

The pretenses the night multiplied
Endure only to place him with fault
To justify the actions once taken
And abandoned dreams once sought

Hope replaced with despair
For things tasted then taken away
With a back that simply is turned
And love simply thrown away

Existence is as it always has been
The life of one already dead
Who can only hear faint echoes
Of promises he once heard said.


G - July 2009

No comments: